Top ten tips for professional growth
Growth is something which you compare you with yourself over the period of time. Have you found a difference in yourself in terms of the results you achieved. Have you noticed more maturity in your working style compared to your earlier days. Have you constantly being looked as a valuable employee? Professional growth is all about maturing the way you function to achieve organization goals. Why it is so important? Because when you grow professionally, you actually grow personally as well. I have clubbed below points for your reference and you can apply them to your current job. Note that these are not rules but are the series of steps which will lead you for personal growth and eventually turn you into a great employee.
1. If you are a new joiner to an organization, everything is new to you including the environment, people, practices, culture. Once your introduction or induction program, its time to you to start participating. Here are 3 important actions you need to take to get familiar with new organization. Speak, Ask and Discuss. Follow these actions and you will come to know about the working atmosphere. Know who your supervisor is and speak with him on day-1 about your roles and responsibilities. Please don’t leave any communication gap else it would create a not so good first impression.
2. One of the important practices that put you in right place in the professional career is your punctuality and regularity. I feel punctuality is more important than regularity. Be on time at your work. It makes you available and approachable and gives a good boost to your career.
3. Learning is one of the most important aspects of one’s professional career. Learning is a skill in itself. One has to apply different techniques while learning different aspects. For example, if one is learning a CAD Software such as AutoCAD or ProEngineer or Data warehousing Tools as part of project training, what he needs to observe is the various menus and options and screens. He should note down the menu hierarchies and screen pop ups, because CAD and DWH works on manus not by programming. On the other hand if one is learning a new programming language, he needs to understand various programming constructs, practice them and read the code snippet and understand those. Use Google to learn about code snippets. Be smart learner not slow learner. Treat Google as your personal tutor. Believe me its more powerful than you think. I have learnt many skills by watching you tube videos alone. Thanks to Google. While you learn, maintain a nice large sized diary which can accommodate your notes. Avoid using small notebooks which you may end up replacing quite often and may lose as well.
4. Dress well and look well groomed.
5. Be a team player and don’t indulge in office politics. I have seen this happening in various organizations. Let me tell you guys, doing tricky politics can get you temporary high but over the time it’s the work and attitude that wins the race. Politics will bite you back over the time.
6. Communicate your achievements. Don’t just work and wait for rewards. It doesn’t get you much mileage. You need to make sure that your achievements are seen by proper people. To make this happen, use communication/presentation tools such as emails and conducting a presentation of your work and speaking in meetings about your work. Remember, no work is small work. Every work is important as it could have a great value in terms of dependency.
7. Speak up in meetings. Top management likes the people who speak and communicate. When I say speak, it doesn’t mean that start complaining about things. Yes if its genuine issue, approach your supervisor and ask for a resolution. In meetings, you should speak about the issues you are facing while working on the project or extracts about a client interaction details or anything related to project. Message here is don’t keep quite. Keeping quite puts you last in the race no matter how hard you working.
8. Respect your organizational values. Don’t speak badly about the company. It’s the place which is earning you bread and butter. Every organization will have its own merits and demerits. What’s important to you is how good your team is because you will be working in teams.
9. Take ownership of tasks.This is the most important I must say in achieving professional growth. When you take ownership of some piece of work, it generates interest within you. This interest fuels your ability to work upon the task. It puts you into an important position in the race and when you complete your owned work, it generates a wonderful peace within you. Taking ownership will lead you to way to leadership.
10. Never stop learning. You need to upgrade yourself constantly. It could be your technical skills or management skills or certifications. I give you an example here. If you are a web programmer with loads of experience in ASP programming, you should definitely upgrade yourself to .NET platform, because technologies are rapidly changing. Software product companies are releasing new features more rapidly than ever before. Growth of social networking and Artificial intelligence applications demand much latest tools and skills to be used while developing. So keep an eye on trends and upgrade your skills. How to upgrade? Find a tutor nearby or just login to you tube and find a video and switch on your speaker and take a notepad in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other and start learning.